Monday, December 12, 2011

News reporting and validity

I was listening to NPR the other day and they were talking about how the elections are discussed in the media. One thing that surprised me was the discussion from the guest who suggested that Fox News was asking the hard questions, particularly citing Brett Baier and Bill O'Reilly.

In the past, I have had many colleagues claim that Fox News "makes up" the news; however, if you look at the NEWS programs, (not programming like Sean Hannity or even Bill O'Reilly) you will find that the cable networks (CNN, FOX) are more balanced and unbiased in their reporting than the national news networks (NBC, CBS, ABC).

I would argue that it's important to get your news from a variety of sources rather than following one alone. I LOVE to listen to NPR, watch the local news, and follow some of the Cable stations.

My big question is--  Have you considered the role of the news in your participation as citizens?

No comments:

Post a Comment