Monday, November 5, 2012

Elections

Election day is tomorrow. I know we will all be glad when we are not assaulted by misinformation about the issues, the candidates, and the policies!  One of the things I have been interested in are serious changes to our government. It will be interesting to see who gets voted in and/or voted out.

Many Utahn's think that Orrin Hatch has been in the Senate too long; however, he barely manages to stay in the race and keep his job in the senate. This year, the issue isn't what Senator Hatch will vote for, but rather whether or not Conservatives maintain their percentage in Congress. If they do, their agenda gets to take priority; if not, then their agenda goes south and the liberal agenda takes priority.

Have you ever voted for an agenda? Or, do you vote for the person? What kinds of changes happen to government if we were to have a one party dominating all of the government?  For example, if there is a Republican in the White House and a Republican majority in the Congress? Does it help to have opposite sides represent us?

4 comments:

  1. I can say my first time voting, I voted for an agenda. I was little informed and it seemed that I went ahead and voted for all one sided party. I feel now that I have much more knowledge, and an open mind. I do choose the person, not just the agenda. In fact my ballot was not at all one-sided this time. I would much rather have a balance in the White House. I do feel that it is good to have opposite sides represent us to keep a balance in the government. I thought it was so interesting how the votes were during the election. I could not believe how different this race for president was compared to the last election. It was very exciting to watch the votes balance out all day. It was so close and also made me have a love/hate relationship for the electoral college. All of the talk about the country being so divided was such a hot topic. I feel that it is not a horrible aspect that each of us have different views and I feel that is is necessary to have diversity in views. If our government was one sided, then I do think our American Values of being able to think our own thoughts and have freedoms would not be in the presence of society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't very impressed when I read about the electoral college the first time, and I like it even less now after watching how the electoral votes play out in campaigning and vote-counting strategies. I can understand where you're coming from, Miranda, when you say you both love and hate it, but lately it's been more hate than love from me.

      Delete
    2. A friend of mine posted on FACEBOOK that if you look at a map of the united states, there are more RED states than BLUE states. He posited that each state should get TWO electoral college votes only. That way, the more heavily populated states don't get to rule the rest of the nation.

      Hmmmm....what do you think?

      Delete
  2. I want to vote for the person, and that's what I did most of the time during this voting season, but I also keep in mind what agenda may be pushed onto this person by his or her declared party and how that might effect this person's actions in the future if he or she is put into a position of power. For instance, when looking at all the presidential candidates, I found that I agreed with many of the third-party candidates themselves, but couldn't agree with their party agendas enough to vote for the person.

    ReplyDelete